Tuesday, January 6, 2009

A very different world...

The challenges of technology have been met and I am now able to access a computer! It has been an amazing few days since I have arrived! It is a very different world here. At times it feels that I am seeing life from two or three hundred years ago. Other times it feels very familiar. Before arriving I knew I would see a country nothing like I have seen before.
However, little could have prepared me for the horrendous poverty. The majority of adults I have met cannot read or write. Children begin work as soon as possible in the poorest areas. I am told around 8 years of age.
We went today to see the only other Waldorf School in Pakistan. It took a little over an hours drive through tiny villages. The main way of travel here is by donkey. People are walking around looking very busy but I have no idea where they are going. The only employment, it appears is on very large farms that have half million dollar homes on them. The contrasts are extreme.
The school we went to was amazing. The children looked very happy and very curious about me and Canada. It has been operating for approximately 3 years, purely on donations. The teachers receive about $100 a month salary. Many times they are worried that they cannot met the payroll but to this point something has always happened to help them. There is a community in Germany that has taken them under their wing and helps by fundraising for them.
It is hopeful that Nazli who is starting a school and Green Earth school will be able to assist each other along the way. If anyone out there would like more info on the school it is called 'Green Earth Roshni School' http://www.roshni.org.pk/ They also have a Camphill that has helped so many people. It truly is an organization that runs on a shoestring and helps so many people.
The project that I am helping with is coming along well. We are busy with organizing so many areas, meeting with people and arranging an information night. It is all very exciting and worthwhile.
Nazli's family currently operates many schools for children who would otherwise not be attending school. Two days ago, I attended a large family gathering and the announcement was made that she had been appointed to be in charge of these schools! She is very excited and has many ideas for them. We are arranging some training next week for Kindergarten, Grade One and Two teachers. As you, I'm sure, can appreciate, it does feel very overwhelming to me, but I can also say I am loving it!
I have some wonderful pictures and video to share (as soon as I meet the challenge of how to upload them).
Many thanks for your interest in my adventure.
Take care and Happy New Year
love
Deborah

2 comments:

  1. Happy New Year Deborah, and to Nazli as well!
    You made it!!!! I held you in my thoughts-hope you felt them on the way there. Wow, I can almost visualize your words but will look forward to your footage soon. I like your idea of a sister school in case I never mentioned it before and I am so happy things are going well, safe and very full of life and learning. Missing you here at the property yet thinking of you with wonderful thoughts of service and adventure and love. Hope your family are peaceful too.
    Love Karen and the girls
    P.S. Thank you for your lovely email after our last day and for such a lovely last day feast of friendship and thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Deborah,

    It sounds like an amazing experience has begun for you. The children will be very excited to see any pictures you post. Just to let you know, Lucy's mom passed away on Jan 3. Take care - our thoughts are with you.

    Allison and Matthew and Elena and Mike

    ReplyDelete